Wednesday, September 26, 2007

DeathBed Logic

Big decisions are never easy. “Jeff, we’de love for you to join the team, see you Monday at 8 AM…assuming, of course... you accept our offer for the job”

Say it’s a great job, say it’s a job that could propel you to a very comfortable financial situation. BUT it’s a job. It’s not a love, a passion….what makes you tick.

This is where, as in any big decision, you weigh the pros and cons, try and decide what’s best. It’s never easy. It’s never simple.

One system I’ve employed in making any big decision is the “DeathBed” approach. Pretend you’re on your deathbed. Think about the decision….
• Decide if it will even be worth thinking about (scope)
• Decide which way you’d lean through saying “if I were on my deathbed would I regret “x”
• Make the decision off whatever sounds better

For example, moving to someplace exotic and altering your entire life qualifies in the “scope” category. Furthermore, when I say “Wow, I really regret that year I spent in Jackson Hole skiing all the time” while pretending to be on my deathbed it sounds
1. Ridiculous
2. Reasonable
This is how I currently make my big decisions. I may never leave my dream (Jackson) but worse things have happened to people. Oh well. If you have a more solid way of making decisions, please send them my way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home