Friday, October 05, 2007

Book of the Week.

Whether or not any surfer agrees, skiing and surfing certainly share a certain kinship. Both sports revolve around water, gravity and have the potential to seriously screw up a life. Even though I've never ridden a wave in my life, I've always been drawn to sport. Regardless of all the commonalities, the one superceeding similarity in both sports is the way they become a part of you. It's religion.

While at the bookstore the other day, a book caught my eye. It wasn't a featured book or placed to get noticed, in fact, it was buried back in the corner of the store. For whatever reason I picked up West of Jesus by Steven Kotler. Kotler, who had battled Lyme disease for 2 years, finds a renewed passion for surfing which takes him around the world. Surfing becomes the catalyst in his quest for the origins of belief. Kotler's uncannied ability to relate the sport of surfing to the non-surfer combined with his intellectual prowess on the overencompassing idea of "belief" makes this a good read. It's not long and makes me want to go on a quest...of some sort.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home