Friday, November 16, 2007

December 1st

The move went smoothly...although when you can fit just about everything you own in your truck, it should go smoothly.



I must however say, besides a decent sunset, driving through Wyoming proves that stopping time is possible. Nine hours of driving can feel a bit more like 19.





Now, we didn't plan on showing up in Jackson and ripping pow from day one but we certainly didn't plan on riding our mountain bikes for a week before the snow even began to fall. We also didn't plan on the town being closer to a ghost town than a bustling ski community...I guess all those early season openings in Colorado lead us to believe Jackson was the same way. It's not. Hell, the resort doesn't even open at all until December 1st.

This can make for a rather tedious and difficult job hunt but you have to keep faith that the population-to-job deficit will eventually work out in your favor (there are more jobs than people here). It just takes till after December 1st!

The real problem is the gap between mountain biking season and the ski season. It can be tough. Cabin fever takes hold and you wonder what you did for fun before skiing and mountain biking. At the end of the day you just thank God for whiskey, tequila and beer as the locals do because the feeling of anxiety is enough to make even the most sane of men crazy.

Well, thankfully that gap is being closed as the snow (and rain!) fall. We were lucky enough to make a few turns on Teton Pass Wednesday.

It just enough skiing to make me wonder "what are these things attached to my feet? How do I turn them? What am I doing with my life? Etc. I can't say I was on it....and for only 2 hours of skiing/skinning (mostly skinning aka: ascending on skis) I was dead tired. The nice part was the weather stayed nice enough for some fishing...so we tried our luck on the Snake, which is far too big to throw a fly at without a boat....still fun though. (and I must say it was cold enough for my eyelets to ice up!)



Thursday we decided to get out on the pass for some "training". AKA: Skin around until you can't handle it anymore.

We lapped a north facing pitch of about 700 vertical. It was pretty good, didn't hit a thing and the snow was soft although a bit heavy.





Now, I'm laying here a bit sick, a bit tired and having found a job at www.jacksonholesnowmobile.com . Seems like a great place, they run tours all over the area and it gives me some much sought after sled time. I'd love to pick up another job with a catering company or bar tending one of the many bars in town but many of them aren't even open for business yet! December 1st. December 1st.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home