Friday, December 14, 2007

The most scared I've ever been...

Imagine a world where everything is spinning, you have perpetual mental cloudiness and you could never ski again.

It's like being drunk except it's never fun.

I took a bit of a hit one week ago on Teton Pass. Simply, it was a knee to the face. Didn't break my cheek bone and I skied out of the line 'okay'.

Without going over the top, I'll keep this quick. Wear a helmet. and most importantly, make good decisions

This doesn't mean skiing like a pussy, it means looking at a line and fully realizing what you are gambeling with and if it really is worth it. You can only throw caution to the wind and say "lets see what happens" so many times before it catches up to you.

The best skiers in the world have been the best by making these decisions with a solid idea of what they can/can't do. Here's the key, there are ways to discover what you can do/can't do without risking too much.

This means lots of snow, later in the year, steeper landings, no rocks etc. Not December 7th sending a 40 footer just cause it's a pole deep into a flatish (by JH standards) landing.

Let this be a lesson to all that read it. And I hope I'll come around to the person I've always been....back again!

2 Comments:

At 9:20 PM, Blogger brendon newton said...

Good word my friend! Too many days I've walked away from a line kicking myself in the balls over not doing something and then I watch people get carted off the hill. Yeah, they may have been doing sicker stuff than me before they crashed, but at the end of the day... I'm still skiing.

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger NEdream26 said...

Hey - found this blog at the Teton Gravity forums. JeffreyJim did some great work finding out and posting a ton of things about concussions... just wondering how you're making out as of now? I put a link to that forum on my blog - great work getting it down in writing.

Hope you're feeling better through the loooooong process of recovery!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home